A case of basic courtesy

Hey y'all.


Been a while.

Past few weeks have been some sort of revelation for me. Of the things that start to matter more as one grows older.

Well, 3 days on and it will be a month. I 'm not sure if any progress has been made or if things are still the same way the were.

Twisted. The whole thing is.

You guys probably have no idea what I'm talking about lolz. That's alright. Just like one of my friends who also has a blog mentioned, a blog could be for your personal rants and whims...but people don't usually want to read that, they have their "plentiful own". Hmm. Agreed.

Hence, more serious matters shall avail.

*solemn*

Lolz..

As you guys know, I keep things short. Not too much potpet potpet.

So today, this morning I walked into class..breezed into actually. And the first words?

"Look who's early today...hehe"

I said that. I guess I was surprised at being early myself. In months.

And then, as the class settled down I realised that no one had actually looked me in the eye. That revelation came to me about 15 minutes into the lesson.

As the lesson progressed, it became clearer and clearer that people were avoiding meeting my eye. Well, let's just say it was the table where I was sitting la ar. Let's narrow things down abit.

Just to be sure. The logistics of the class: 26 of us. And I am going to get a lil um...uncomfortable now, because I am going to list the races that constitute the 26 of us.

So yes, there are 3 indians, all girls and one chinese girl. Others are all Malays. Safe to say that others are all Muslims.

As we all know, Muslims pride themselves in being modest when it comes to their attire. What with the headscarves and hijabs and the like. The class has 4 males, Muslims as well. The others are all Muslim females.

I am already feeling very da uncomfortable now. Mentioning religion as well now, are we =.=

Anyways, being Muslim females, they all don headscarves relentlessly. Every single day, in the presence of any male. Among girls, they relax the habit.

Being a student in a class like this would not, ideally speaking implicate my style of dressing. But trust me, it can attract a lot of attention if the non-implication is thought to be a total freedom thing.

Well, I have been lulled into a false sense of security that I really had that freedom to dress in whichever way I wanted, show how much skin I wanted to and was comfortable in revealing..

Actually, I have known it all along. That it would not harbour well with my Muslim counterparts.

(I feel like smacking myself when I mention that M word, seriously)

Still continuing..

I am pissed, to be honest with y'all. Not drunk, but pissed as in really upset. And annoyed.

This is not the first time that I have been, i don't know what's the right word..belittled? Pandang serong in BM...Reprimanded. The only difference is that, they just didn't voice it out this time. The silent shit is even more annoying.

One girl actually had the nerve to say, "Eee, tk tahan la" (Ee, I can't stand it). Coupled with this really stupid look on her face. If you are reading this, well THANK GOD you are. Trust me you ain't getting half of the consequence you would be facing if I gave it to you in person :]

And then, it was the 'compliments': "Eee, banu sexy"

If you notice, she actually used "ee" to pass a compliment. Which is what really made me wonder in the first place...was that a compliment? Or a warning for me to cover up?

Today was the grand finale.

Full-on silent treatment.

It didn't really bother me in the beginning. But then as I became more and more aware of the flighty stares and unusual stiffness of this particular girl seated next to me, I just thought..."Why, the nerve of this people..."

I am saying it again: I am pissed.

I mean, never mind all the remarks. If these peeps were to have someone point at their tudung (headscarf) and say, "Ee tak tahan", HOW WOULD THEY FEEL THEN?

Like it was none of your business




Precisely.


Thing is, I wonder what is it that they find so digusting. My skin? Well it ain't scaly or anything...neither do I have a problem with boils or pus.


Is that disgusting enough or should I pump it up a notch?


=.=

---continued back home----

The fury (fulemak) has pretty much died down now. I just can' t forget how miserable I felt at the time. A bit like Johnny Depp's character in Chocolat...---which I have just finished watching for the umpteenth time :D


So yea, PLEASE try and keep a civilised front to whomever or whatever situation you are in, which is not to your taste. It's basic courtesy.

Comments

Jess Ang said…
I think you should address directly to the girl who said those stuffs and tell them it's very hurtful and disrespectful to have said those words!

I've had the same experience before with a malay collegue, I was wearing shorts with a t-shirt as it was burning hot that day, and the friend actually gave me her disgusted look and asked why do i have to wear so short!

Tell them we, the nons will feel offended and insulted when they say those stuffs. We are not obliged to follow what they follow so why would they feel the urge to sound us on how we dress!
flisset said…
banu! orait.i dah baca.i org pertama komen ni. hehe.:DD
looney ^_^ said…
so with Jess! happens lah cha.. they kinda feel that we got to dress like them, just coz they can't dress like us~ clearly shows how close-minded these people can be no matter where they are~ it's a shame having people think that way, but even hurtful to hear them saying it in a sarcastic tone! pathetic creatures~
Banu Piriya said…
jess and looney: wahh dei bukan main proud of ur name ah. i am proud of u la tsk tsk :p yea well, i don't expect it not to happen again. when it does shall just ignore~~if they get me on the wrong day..haha gone la verbal bomb shower

Popular Posts