What would you want to change?

"The only 3 things a man should wanna change about his woman is her last name, her address and her viewpoint on men"- Thoughts from one of the many people I follow on Twitter.


Just saw this on twitter..hmm, got me thinking.


"His woman" - His wife. His partner for life (we hope). OK. I don't have a "problem" with that :P


"Last name" - Maybe I have a problem with this. I am aware that it's common practice for the wife to take her husband's name upon marriage. Maybe I am ignorant of the real reason as to why this is the case...but why can't the husband do so, instead? O.o No changes to either one's name is also an option, I suppose? Hmm..



"Address" - True. But I hope the man's address would change as well. In Tamil, we call it "thanee kudethenem"..meaning, living independently, in a separate, private residence - not the bridegroom's (or if allowed to "dream", the bride's) parents' residence. In the general Indian culture, the bride is to live with the bridegroom's parents...Why? Again, I have very little knowledge. I have questioned this before, since I became aware of the practice but most often than not, I don't give it much thought- just assuming that "that's just how it is".



The last one really caught my attention...



"Her viewpoint on men": Well, this gives me the impression that the hypothetical woman used to have a very bitter outlook on men generally. And this man who has come to "transform" her life is a "knight in shining armour"...O.o. I rather he didn't attempt to change it at all. If she thought, for instance "all men are jerks" prior to this miraculous meeting that changed her viewpoint forever....her new viewpoint would be, "all men are gems"- is that it? An eye for an eye. There's no real change there..it's just one opinion replacing another, with the same weightage and perspective of thought. Generalisation is never a wise gauge to go with..



I wish to be enlightened about how the last name and address change works...

Comments

Anonymous said…
haha..interesting. At times, i wish i can operate your brain n see how it works, u can just come up with some topics out of no where n then start ranting about it...haha:P
well, i agree with u on the last name changing part.
changing her address part, be it taani kudetenum or staying with in-laws, still her address is changing right?and nowadays, the trend is changing i suppose?coz none of my relatives are staying with in-laws. All have their own houses..but yea lar..maybe the tradition is still there, but it is gradually changing.
changing her viewpoint on men,maybe it can be from 'All men are jerks' to 'Actually not all men are jerks, there are some gems out there.', losing the generalisation part perhaps?
haha..i had a nice blog-stalking:P
Banu Piriya said…
Haha. Well, thank god for the changing times. The term thani kudethenem has been around for ages. Maybe those days it was some sort of taboo or a last-resort option. So yea, kudos for the gradual change (I still want to stay near my parents' place, though..O.o). And yes, thank you for that viewpoint on generalisation. Could be that way, too :) And I wish you all the fun you can possibly gain with blog-stalking :P thank you for dropping by! :)

Popular Posts