Of tongue rolls and being...bilingual? O.o

I had thoughts running in all directions with this interesting video:







INTERESTING is probably an understatement. The things said in this video stroked all the "right" chords in me, enough for me to write this post :D


I totally relate to the boy. If y'all notice, no one was cheering for him; whatever he said, there was either silence, or slight instances of jeering here and there but when the lady whom he was supposedly "debating" with said anything, the crowd couldn't have been happier.


I'm sure y'all noticed that too, no? Now what does that say about the show?


Well, my instant reaction to this video was: "This show was based on pre-meditated opinions."


A friend of mine posted the video on Facebook, thus getting my attention as well.


Few thoughts:

  • Tamil should be pronounced in its right way, as in Tamizh. Totally warranted. But really? From my perspective, me being a Tamizchi, as in a Tamilan, if I was talking to somebody who was not a Tamil about my mother tongue, I would say it as Tamil and not Tamizh. And even then, that's not even certain. It could be either one. What the hell does it matter, really? =.= It doesn't prove anything. It doesn't mean I am totally usurped into the "devilish" Western culture. I can still speak my language, whenever needed and in whichever situation where it is deemed appropriate and heck, I can even write in it, okay? And I am as modern as any girl could get =.= (safe to assume this la k..lolz). It's really a matter of switching between two languages. And that is why, you might hear me saying Tamil or Tamizh O.o

  • The boy was not given ample opportunity to make his point. If y'all notice, the tone in which both participants, the boy and the lady used to put their points across was quite different. As in, the boy was soft-spoken and the lady? Well, she looked pretty defensive to me. Lolz. I mean, I know the subject matter was that the Tamil culture was under threat or something because of the new cultures being adapted by the younger generation. But well, I just felt like pointing that out...because, the boy really had no need to defend his way of life. I could see that he was comfortable being who he is and that he was just trying to make the people understand his point of view. Which brings us to the next thought of yours truly....

  • The boy said he experiences some sort of "tongue roll" when he speaks Tamil and also, he would prefer to speak in English because he feels more comfortable conversing in the language. And then later on, we see that he was actually quite fluent. You see, that should not come as a surprise. It's just a matter of, which language you choose subconsciously whenever you start a conversation with someone. To be fair, probably the "tongue roll" excuse was not a good enough excuse to put his point across. But if y'all noticed, those people were heartless in passing judgements. Even the host, he was practically mocking the guy; imitating the way the boy said some words =.= dude, seriously?

  • It almost felt like the show was some sort of live telecast of a criminal being judged in some court. The fact is, whatever "victory" it achieved in putting its point across, well I've got news for those jokers: It's not gonna make any difference to the pace in which the young generation of India or be it any country in the whole damn word, are changing and opening up to cultures other than their own. It's like you people worship the internet at one point and then the next, it's like the root of all evil. Of course, by now, you would have realised that the internet is the main reason why different cultures are converging and why lifestyles are changing as a result.

Y'll need to calm the heck down and just live life as it comes...At the end of the day, we're all just human yaww...If you ask me, all the madness is coming from the mind.


And yes, I am putting this post up for all people who take things at face value. I am very well aware that there are people who watch videos like this, and just let the media put all the ideas into their heads, no questions asked. That has got to change.


And ar, you could also say that..."well, this girl, terasa sbb dia pun mcm budak laki kat video tu".


Ha, mmg tersgt betol la...lolz..spot on. Bull's eye.


You could even go as far as assuming that I am pissed. Well, who knows, maybe I am. All because, I appreciate the culture in which I come from and have been brought up with. Those people in the video above are thrashing that boy with wild, unwarranted and uncalled for accusations just because they are, in reality, opposed to the Western culture and not primarily because they feel the inherent need to protect their culture...~~


Alrighty...I think that's all for the ranting..lolz see y'all :D


Comments

Popular Posts